Sunday, May 25, 2014

Put the Pen to the Paper



I’m discussing the writing process today instead of formatting as I promised. It is a holiday weekend after all, and formatting is a rather extensive and boring subject. I promise I’ll get to it next week and try to use bullets to make it simpler for you to find what you need.

Several people have questioned me about how to get started writing. I always think back to my graduate school days when I took a course that required us to write on demand. The professor would come into class and give us a topic, or not, and then we were required to write for fifteen minutes. His advice was to put the pen (or pencil) to the paper. If we didn’t know what to write, he said to write our name, address, telephone number, whatever came to mind. Hit the panic button, right? But before we knew it, most of us were writing like crazy. At the end of the writing session, we had to share what we had written with the class. It was a daunting experience, but in the long run it built up our confidence as writers. However, I still remember my heart pounding the first few times I had to read!

These days when I’m working on a project I try to write at least 500 words a day. Early morning is best for me. I get up and make coffee, let the two dogs out for their morning run, and get settled at my computer. I’ll do a quick email check and let the dogs back in. With one or both dogs on the rug at my feet, I begin by rereading what I wrote the day before. I’ll make corrections and maybe embellish it a little; once I’ve read the previous day’s work I’m in the mood. I write until I’m out of ideas or hit a snag. Usually I make it to 500 words more or less. Then I stop. Of course, I’m still thinking about my story during the day and sometimes late into the night. I might go back in the afternoon and add more to the story. But I wait until the next day to review. It’s tempting to go back and start editing and adding to what I have written, but I leave it. My advice is to start each day with a review of what you wrote the day before. You’ll find yourself back in the groove. It works for me.

As I mentioned, this is a holiday weekend. In remembrance of all who have served our country:

In Fanders Fields
John McCrae
May, 1915

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment